Thursday, January 10, 2008

Where You At?

I saw this phrase on a billboard today. It was an advertisement for a cell phone service. More specifically it read

More... Where You Ats

That phrase "Where You At" bothers me so much I can't tell you. When did it become so natural to speak incorrectly, when did it become vogue to sound ignorant? Growing up, we always wanted to look and sound as if we had some kind of class...maybe it was a suburban middle class thing. Maybe its a race thing..I don't know anymore...speaking incorrectly really does reach beyond all races.

Along this same vein, I heard this tid bit on the news today:

State Senate panel approves 'pull up your britches' bill

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

TALLAHASSEE -- Youth who let their drawers droop to expose underwear, G-strings or worse at school would get a verbal warning after a first offense but face suspension if they keep doing it under a measure that cleared a Senate committee Wednesday.

Now I don't know if I'm getting more conservative or what, I highly doubt that, but I Kind of like this idea. Frankly I am really tired of seeing kids underwear, although often times I am amazed at the defying of gravity (just HOW do those pants stay attached to the body, when the crotch is down at the knees???) It's always looked so damn uncomfortable. But that's me.

Now, I don't know if something like this needed to go to the State Senate, I am sure there are more important issues for them to be discussing, but..looks like the phrase "there outta be a law..." has finally caught on.


4 comments:

Serena said...

"Where you at" bugs me, too. A lot! But what bugs me even more are those god-awful droopy pants. When I see them, I have this compulsion to yank them up. I don't know how you even walk with the crotch of your pants at your knees. Ugh!

leelee said...

Once again Serena...GMTA - Great Minds Think Alike - we agree on so much, no wonder I like you.

Have a great day!!

HUGS!

puerileuwaite said...

These things bother me too. But all I can do at this point in my life, is to yell from my porch in my sleeveless t-shirt, thrust a rolled up newspaper back and forth, and reminisce about how it didn't used to be that way.

leelee said...

back in the day Pug...back in the day..

;-)