Thursday, August 24, 2006

This downsizing has just gone too far!



Scientists decide Pluto’s no longer a planet

Historic new guidelines approved by astronomers in Prague


This lineup shows the 12 planets that were proposed last week, with a wedge of the sun at far left. Ceres, Pluto, Charon and 2003 UB313 are barely visible. Now Charon will continue to be considered Pluto's satellite, and the three other worlds will be dubbed "dwarf planets" rather than full-fledged planets. The planets are drawn to scale, but without correct relative distances.


PRAGUE, Czech Republic - Leading astronomers declared Thursday that Pluto is no longer a planet under historic new guidelines that downsize the solar system from nine planets to eight.

C'mon now!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Paula said...

You would think there are more productive ways for them to spend their time. Poor little Pluto.

puerileuwaite said...

I agree with PJ. Who gives a rat's patootie?

However this DOES remind me of one of my all-time favorite pieces of graffiti.

I was taking night classes at a local college, and in a classroom there was a poster. The poster had an image of Earth as viewed from space. The caption underneath read: "Earth - It's the only planet we've got.".

Upon closer examination, I noticed that some smartass had written: "What happened to the other eight?".

leelee said...

You would think PJ...it saddens me though, Pluto was like one of my own..It's my childhood..

PW: funny...yeah what ABOUT the other 8.. ;-)